Phrases of art pronounced by artists
Among these phrases of artists, great creatives such as da Vinci, Picasso, Dali or Frida Kahlo cannot be missing. This is how they expressed themselves about art.
1. All children are born artists. The problem is how to continue being artists when growing up. (Pablo Picasso)
The first phrase of art is for the Malaga genius Pablo Picasso , one of the most avant-garde Spanish painters.
2. What is art?
If I knew, I would be careful not to reveal it. I do not seek, I find. (Pablo Picasso)
Although we can find a general definition of art, its meaning cannot be expressed in words.
3. Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. (Pablo Picasso)
All artists know the basic rules of art, the important thing is what they do with them and how they reinvent them.
4. Art washes the dust of everyday life from the soul. (Pablo Picasso)
This phrase by the Spanish artist shows that art is also an escape route, an outlet for any artist.
5. The true work of art is but a shadow of divine perfection. (Michelangelo)
Artists are always in search of perfection , although obsessing over it is usually not good.
6. Art can change how I feel in the morning. The same work can change me in different ways, depending on what I’m going through. (David Bowie)
It is the transformative power of art and the process every artist must go through.
7. To live, a work of art does not need to be beautiful or ugly. It just needs life. (Elmer Diktonius)
In fact, many works of art convey rejection , and that is precisely their goal.
8. Art must be an expression of love or it is nothing. (Marc Chagall)
Phrase about art pronounced by one of the best known Russian painters.
9. Although it seems paradoxical, life imitates art much more than art imitates life. (Oscar Wilde)
Artists discovered more than a century ago that, with the arrival of photography, it is no longer necessary to portray reality .
10. No great artist sees things as they really are. If he did, he would stop being an artist. (Oscar Wilde)
A great phrase of art that comes to say the following: the greatest artists are those with the most eccentric visions.
11. Beautiful art is that in which the hand, the head and the heart go together. (John Ruskin)
The art critic John Ruskin knew that there are artists with an impeccable technical invoice, but lacking in soul.
12. An art that is not based on feeling is not art. (Paul Cezanne)
In a certain way, art allows us to express negative emotions and transform them into something beautiful.
13. Art is not what you see, but what you make others see. (Edgar Degas)
Art is provoking something in the viewer, reader or listener.
14. There is nothing more truly artistic than loving people. (Vincent van Gogh)
A phrase of art but also of peace and love.
15. Art is man added to nature. (Vincent van Gogh)
Many artists are inspired by nature and capture it in their work. A clear example is the architect Antoni Gaudi.
16. I dream of painting and then I paint my dreams. (Vincent van Gogh)
A famous quote that we could also attribute to the painter Salvador Dali, maximum expression of surrealism.
17. An artist is someone who produces things that people don’t need. (Andy Warhol)
Great phrase from the artist Andy Warhol, who with his Campbell Soup revolutionized contemporary art.
18. Art is man’s rebellion against the wicked stupidity of everyday events. (Alejandro Dolina)
The Latin American writer and musician understands art as a way to overcome the mundane.
19. Art is plagiarist or revolutionary. (Paul Gauguin)
The greatest failure of the artist is that his work leaves the viewer indifferent.
20. Art consists in reconfiguring life, but it does not create or cause life. (Stanley Kubrick)
Like his own work, this Kubrick quote is one of the most convoluted sentences we have come across.
21. Every human being is an artist. The dream of life is to create beautiful art. (Miguel Ruiz)
This is how the Mexican writer Miguel Ruiz defined his passion for art.
22. Painting is poetry that is seen and not felt, and poetry is painting that is felt and not seen. (Leonardo da Vinci)
Da Vinci is probably the most versatile artist of all time.
23. The man without a musical spirit and who is not moved by the harmony of sweet sounds, he is capable of all betrayals, snares and thefts. (William Shakespeare)
In other words: do not trust someone who does not appreciate any kind of art.
24. If the world were obvious, art would not exist. Art helps us penetrate the opacity of the world. (Albert Camus)
The ability to elaborate abstract thoughts is what differentiates us from other animal species .
25. Work is an invasion of our privacy. (Woody Allen)
Capturing aspects of intimate life in a work is a brave act on the part of the artist.
26. Architecture is frozen music. (Arthur Schopenhauer)
Until that point the famous classical music composer admired architecture.
27. Inspiration is working every day. (Charles Baudelaire)
When inspiration is lacking, you have to go out and find it.
28. Between a crazy person and me there is only one difference. The crazy thinks he’s sane and I know I’m crazy. (Salvador Dali)
A phrase of art that could only come from the mouth of Salvador Dali.
29. Drawing is the honesty of art. There is no possibility of cheating. Is good or bad. (Salvador Dali)
Although authentic aberrations have been sold for a million.
30. Do not be afraid of perfection, you will never reach it. (Salvador Dali)
In short, art is the continuous search for perfection .
31. If it is sold, it is art. (Frank Lloyd
Many consider advertising to be an art.
32. Art is the only way to escape without leaving home. (Twyla Tharp)
Tharp is an American dancer and choreographer who marked a before and after in the art of advertising. dance
33. Art should disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturbed (Banksy)
Although nobody knows his identity, the artist and graffiti artist Banksy is one of the most influential personalities in contemporary art.
34. I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality. (Frida Kahlo)
The Mexican is famous for her self-portraits. She said that she painted what she knew best: herself .
35. If I paint my dog exactly as he is, naturally I will have two dogs, but not a work of art. (Goethe)
One of the funniest phrases, but no less true, that we have compiled.
36. Every artist was first an amateur. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
No artist is born a genius. They all have a teacher.
37. I don’t paint things. I just paint the difference between things. (Henri Matisse)
Each artist has a unique style. Matisse was known for his particular use of color.
38. The position of the artist is humble. It is essentially a channel. (Piet Mondrian)
However, the ability to transmit emotions (being a mere channel) has much merit.
39. The greatest respect an artist can pay to music is to give it life. (Pau Casals)
A beautiful quote from the moving Spanish cellist Pau Casals.
40. To paint, you must close your eyes and sing. (Pablo Picasso)
We close the selection of phrases by artists as we began : with a great quote from Picasso.
Famous art quotes from great thinkers
Finally, we select famous quotes from other authors who have not dedicated themselves to art.
41. Art is the expression of the deepest feelings by the simplest way. (Albert Einstein)
Perhaps music also has that ability to convey feelings.
42. True art is characterized by an irresistible need in the creative artist. (Albert Einstein)
One of the most remembered quotes about art by the German physicist.
43. The goal of art is to represent not the external appearance of things, but their inner meaning. (Aristotle)
That is why there are pieces of art that we do not understand until we look for a deeper meaning.
44. Artistic talent is a gift from God and whoever discovers it in himself realizes at the same time a certain obligation: because he knows that he cannot waste that talent. (John Paul II)
According to the pontiff, that is the connection between God and art .
45. The artist finds greater pleasure in painting than in looking at the painting. (Seneca)
A fairly complete description of what the creative process means for an artist.
46. All art is based on nonconformity. (Ben Shalm)
This includes the nonconformity of the artist with respect to his own work.
47. The only reward that can be expected from the cultivation of literature is disdain if one fails and hatred if one succeeds. (Voltaire)
Every artist has admirers and detractors. In fact, the most visionary artists often go against the criteria of their contemporaries .
48. The artist’s job is always to delve into the mystery. (Francis Bacon)
Art phrase of the famous English philosopher, lawyer and politician.
49. Art is the only supreme task and metaphysical activity in this life. (Friedrich Nietzsche)
Another phrase from Nietzsche’s art is “without music, life would be a mistake” .
50. We have art so as not to die of the truth. (Friedrich Nietzsche)
We close the selection of phrases about art with a famous quote that makes us think long and hard.