The mirror is an essential accessory in any bathroom, regardless of the style of furniture and the size of the room. In fact, it represents an indispensable support for daily hygiene as well as for shaving or applying make-up. In addition to having a practical function, and to all effects also a piece of furniture, which must integrate in a way – possibly harmonious and balanced – with the other elements present in the bathroom. Therefore, the choice of the mirror for your bathroom must take into account both the practical aspect and the aesthetic characteristics: in this article we see what options are available and the factors that determine the choice of the accessory.
The characteristics to be evaluated
There are several aspects to take into consideration when preparing to choose a bathroom mirror. On the market, in fact, there are many models, even very different from them and the variety of options available can make the choice less simple than it seems. Also for this reason, it is first of all good to get a general idea of the different possible solutions, also by visiting a specialized e-commerce such as Inbagno.it to consult the section dedicated to bathroom mirrors .
In this way, it is easier to identify the characteristics to which to pay more attention, namely:
- shape : in most cases, the mirrors are square or rectangular but there are also round or oval models. The former are very versatile, as they are easily placed inside classic and modern bathrooms (a lot depends on the frame); the latter, on the other hand, have a more refined design and, depending on the finishes, can fit into vintage-style or contemporary-style environments. In large bathrooms it is possible to opt for models with irregular or unconventional shapes, even large ones, while in small bathrooms it is advisable to opt for simple mirrors, preferably without frames;
- dimensions : this is an aspect that has the greatest impact from a practical point of view. In this sense, it is necessary to take into account the overall dimensions of the bathroom as well as of the cabinet / sink above which the mirror will be placed; in addition, the space available for installing the accessory must also be considered. The advice is to respect the proportions, taking into account the practical and functional needs: a mirror that is too small risks being unusable while one that is too large can be cumbersome;
- frame and lighting : framed mirrors usually find a place in vintage, Provencal or shabby chic style bathrooms while those that do not have them are more suitable for modern, minimal or industrial environments. As for lighting, the available solutions are different: the simplest mirrors do not have built-in light points while many modern models are equipped with backlighting. In this case, the choice depends on the positioning of the other light sources in the bathroom.
Which models to choose
Finally, let’s see what are the common mirror models and in which contexts they can be used:
- standard mirrors without lighting : available in any shape or size, they are simple reflective surfaces, easy to install and suitable for practically any type of bathroom furniture; it can be combined with external wall lights to better illuminate the area of use and make it more functional;
- modern mirrors with backlighting : these are models with clean and essential lines which, thanks to the LED backlighting, give the bathroom an elegant and modern accent;
mirrors with storage cabinet : this type of solution integrates the reflective surface with one or two storage compartments, inside which it is possible to store accessories and bathroom products of all kinds. In the ‘space-saving’ models, the cabinet doors also constitute the surface of the mirror (when closed) while in the more classic ones, the compartments are symmetrical with respect to the latter.