Frida Kahlo was one of the most influential artists in the history of painting, but behind each sketch and each brushstroke there was a unique, strong and tormented personality that was reflected in her works . Mexican activist and staunch defender of communism, Frida left us some unique phrases that she is worth remembering. Here is a selection.
- For more inspiration: The 44 best phrases of Confucius about love and friendship.
The 35 best phrases of Frida Kahlo
Every word that came out of Frida’s mouth deserved to be written down on paper, but there are some that will be with us forever.
Phrases about life
These are the best quotes about life and death that the Mexican artist left us.
1. To wall off your own suffering is to risk it devouring you from the inside.
Although she was a person of mixed feelings, Frida Kahlo never hid them, as is evident in this famous quote.
2. Nothing is more valuable than laughter. Strength is required to laugh and abandon oneself, to be light. Tragedy is the most ridiculous.
Another phrase by Frida Kahlo that will remain for posterity and that teaches us the importance of laughter.
3. There are some who are born with a star and others with stars, and even if you don’t want to believe it, I am one of the starry ones.
However, the artist one of the biggest stars.
4. I drink to forget, but now… I don’t remember what.
This phrase could well belong to Charles Bukowski , but it is attributed to the Mexican.
- More famous quotes: 50 phrases by Charles Bukowski to reflect deeply.
5. Doctor, if you let me drink this tequila, I promise not to drink it at my funeral.
A phrase from Frida Kahlo that makes us smile and reminds us of a valuable lesson: enjoy the moment .
6. I wanted to drown my sorrows in liquor, but the damned learned to swim.
Alcohol is one of the causes, but never the solution to life’s problems.
7. Sometimes I prefer to talk to workers and masons than to those stupid people who call themselves cultured people.
Sometimes there is more wisdom in a simple person than in a gathering of educated people.
8. It’s hard for you to take care of me, I talk to you how you treat me and I believe what you show me.
In short, each one reaps what he sows .
9. Each tick-tock is a second of life that passes, flees, and is not repeated. And there is so much intensity in it, so much interest, that the problem is just knowing how to live it. Let each one solve it as he can.
Take advantage of every second that passes as if it were the last. Great phrase of life.
10. If you act like you know what you’re doing, you can do whatever you want.
We assume that, after such a prolific work, the Mexican knew what she was doing.
11. Feet, why do I want them if I have wings to fly
This is one of the most remembered phrases, and one of the most beautiful.
12. Send to hell the entire stupid society, rotten with lies, of capitalism and North American imperialism… The revolution is inescapable.
Frida Kahlo wasmilitant of the Mexican Communist Party , like her husband Diego Rivera.
13. Live life!
One of the simplest but most inspiring quotes. There is always a reason to celebrate life.
Phrases about love
The muralist Diego Rivera, about 20 years older than her , was the great love of her life, so many of these phrases refer to him.
14. You deserve a lover who wants you disheveled, with all the reasons that make you wake up fast and the demons that don’t let you sleep.
You deserve to be loved for who you are, and not for anything else.
15. Do not let the tree of which you are the sun get thirsty.
One of those Frida Kahlo phrases that hides a profound beauty and, in turn, invites reflection.
16. As always, when I walk away from you, I take your world and your life inside me, and that’s how I can hold on longer.
Loving is not an easy task, and sometimes it requires sacrifices that, if we were not in love, we would not be willing to make.
17. Choose a person who looks at you as if maybe you were magic.
Some say that, instead of “as if you were magic”, the painter pronounced “as if you were a bourbon cake” . In any case, the moral remains the same.
18. I wanted it until my dignity said: it’s not that bad.
Love is free and should never trample on the freedom of the other.
19. Can verbs be invented?
I want to tell you one: I heaven you, so my wings spread enormously to love you without measure.
Frida Kahlo shows us that she also mastered the art of words .
20. No place is sadder than an empty bed.
To understand what love is, we must also experience loneliness.
21. I, who fall in love with your wings, will never want to cut them off.
Frida Kahlo’s love phrases are often about freedom.
22. I don’t want a half love, torn and split in half. I have fought and suffered so much that I deserve something whole, intense, indestructible.
Loving is never something that should be done halfway.
23. I would like to give you everything you would never have had, and even then you would not know how wonderful it is to be able to love you.
On this occasion she was also referring to Diego , a man whom she loved madly despite their age difference.
24. Where you cannot love, do not delay.
Love is the force that moves the world, and hate is what destroys it.
25. It is so unpleasant to feel that a woman is able to sell every bit of her convictions or feelings just for the ambition of money or scandal.
There is a lot of feminism in Frida Kahlo’s phrases, perhaps that is why she has become a benchmark in the fight for women’s freedoms.
Phrases about art
His work has been described as the most “avant-garde” and “original” in the history of Mexico. This is what she said about art.
26. I paint myself because I am the one I know best.
Most of her compositions are self-portraits , and here is the reason.
27. I paint flowers so they don’t die.
This is another one of those Frida Kahlo phrases that will never die. Art has the power to make things eternal.
28. I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality.
Although reality is difficult to interpret, like a lot of her surreal paintings.
29. I am my own muse.
It may seem somewhat pretentious, but it is also one of the most sincere quotes.
30. Actually I don’t know if my paintings are surreal or not, but I do know that they represent the most frank expression of myself.
The Mexican artist was compared on many occasions with her contemporary Salvador Dali .
31. You see that I do not have the language of Cervantes, nor the aptitude or poetic or descriptive genius, but you are an ax to understand my relaxed language.
Despite her modesty, she will go down in history as one ahead of her time.
32. Sadness is portrayed in all my painting, but that’s my condition, I no longer have composure.
Not in vain, in his extensive work we can appreciate truly disturbing pieces.
33. I am not sick. I am broke. But I am happy to live as long as I can paint.
Many times, the only sustenance we have left is the passion we put into what we do.
34. The most important thing for everyone in Gringolandia is to be ambitious and become someone, and frankly, I have no ambition to become someone.
Otherharsh criticism of the American capitalist system .
35. Surrealism is the magical surprise of finding a lion inside a closet, where he is sure to find shirts.
Surrealism takes us out of our comfort zone and forces us to see beyond each brushstroke. This is the enormous and magnificent legacy of Frida Kahlo .
- You can also read: The 41 best phrases of Steve Jobs.